Records & Sources
The early section on Tytherington and Itchington in the
Domesday Book, described how the Manors came to be held by
Milo, Sheriff of Gloucester, in 1135 and by Richard Foliot in 1155.
Richard Foliot's daughter Hawise married, secondly, Roger Corbett and by
1220 Emma Corbett, of Moreton Corbet, Salop, held both manors, which
were then held together until 1728.
Roger Howell has traced the descent of the manor - either from official
documentation or from family pedigrees and he has given his permission
for the results of his research to be incorporated here, taking the
story from the first Corbetts.
Names underlined are documented; relationships to the previous Lord are
in brackets, with dates of accession.
Roger Corbett (second husband of Hawise Foliot).
Emma Corbett 1220. (daughter or daughter-in-law ? wife of
Richard Corbett of Moreton Corbet, Salop).
William Corbett (son?).
Robert Corbett (son) d.1270.
William Corbett 1281 (nephew, son of William Corbett).
Roger Corbett 1290. (son) d.1290.
William Corbett 1307 (son).
Roger Corbett 1315 (son).
William Corbett 1324 (son) d.1359.
The de Clintons
Sir John de Clinton (son-in-law, married Margery Corbett who had
Tytherington as part of her marriage portion) d.1335.
Sir John de Clinton (son). d.1398
Sir William de Clinton (grandson, son of Sir William de Clinton
d.1377) d.1432 . Sir William enfeoffed William de la Pole in all his
estates before going to France and never recovered them. (See William de
la Pole, below.) Maxstoke Castle, Warwickshire pictured right is
the ancestral home of the de Clinton family and was built by Sir William
de Clinton, 1st Earl of Huntingdon in 1345.
Thomas de Bradestone who came from Breadstone in the parish of Berkeley
was a knight in the service of Thomas Lord Berkeley. He was an able
soldier and administrator and rose to a position of eminence in the
reign of Edward III. Besides Breadstone he was granted the manors of
Stinchcombe, Horton and Winterbourne and held a moiety or small portion
of the manors of Tytherington and Itchington. He died in 1360.
Thomas de Bradestone (grandson, son of Robert de Bradestone d.1355).
Walter de la Pole 1390 (son-in-law, married Elizabeth
Bradestone and had livery of her lands in 1390 when she came of age.)
William de la Pole (son).William was enfeoffed of the de Clinton's
portion of the manors of Tytherington and Itchington when Sir William de
Clinton left the country. Although later there was a violent law suit
between them the de Clintons never recovered the manors and shortly
afterwards William de la Pole sold them to Sir Richard Beauchamp, Earl
of Warwick one of the wealthiest barons in the land.
Richard Beauchamp c. 1401. Earl of Warwick. Purchased the Manors
of Tytherington and Itchington from William de la Pole. d.1439
Henry Beauchamp Earl of Warwick (son) d.1446.
Anne Beauchamp Countess of Warwick (daughter of Richard)
Richard Neville Earl of Warwick. (uncle, married Anne Beauchamp.)
Sir John Willoughby (second cousin, son of Sir John Willoughby
d.1437 and grandson of Elizabeth Neville.) The manors of Tytherington
and Itchington were given to Sir John by his cousin Richard Earl of
Warwick as part of a family settlement. He married Anne Cheyney daughter
of Edmund Cheyney of Broke near Westbury Wilts. d.1477.
Robert Willoughby Lord Willoughby de Broke. (son) d.1502.
Robert Willoughby Lord Willoughby de Broke. (son) d.1521.
Elizabeth Willoughby (granddaughter, eldest daughter of Edward
Willoughby d.1517). Elizabeth was made a ward of Sir Edward Greville of
Milcote near Stratford on Avon, and eventually married his second son
Sir Fulke Greville. d.1562.
In the recently published volume of the Gloucestershire Record Series
Vol. 6 'The Military Survey of Gloucestershire, 1522' (p.30), two lords
of the manor of Tytherington are mentioned - Lord Broke and Sir Giles
Stragwyssh. The latter is probably the Giles Strangwayes mentioned in
the list of the customary tenants of the manor of Tytherington of 1554.
In the estate survey of Sir Fulke Greville of 1563 Greville only claims
a moiety of the two manors, so evidently Giles Strangwayes owned the
other moiety. It is not clear whether the division of the manors was in
some way a continuation of the division that existed in the confused
period at the end of the 14th century or was a new division made at some
point in the 15th or early 16th century. By 1642 the two parts had been
re-united in the hands of Sir Greville Verney.
Sir Fulke Greville (husband of Elizabeth Willoughby) of
Beauchamps Court, Alcester. d.1560.
Sir Fulke Greville (son) d.1606.
Sir Fulke Greville Lord Brooke of Beauchamps Court. (son)
Government official and poet. d.1628
Sir Richard Verney (brother-in-law, married Margaret Greville
d.1631, daughter of the Sir Fulke Greville who d.1606) of Compton Murdac
(now Compton Verney) , Warwickshire. d.1630.
Sir Greville Verney (son) d.1648.
Sir Greville Verney (son) d.1668. Sir Greville was only 19 when
he died and his wife, Diana Russell, daughter of the first Duke of
Bedford, married secondly William Lord Alington.
William Verney (son) d.1683 aged 15.
Sir Richard (great uncle , son of the Sir Fulke Greville who d.1642).
Reclaimed Barony of Willoughby de Broke in 1696. d.1711.
George Verney Lord Willoughby de Broke. (son). Dean of Windsor.
d.1728. After his death the manor of Tytherington was sold to Dr. Peter
Hardwicke but Itchington was retained by his son Richard (see below).
||Henry Peyto Verney Baron Willoughby De Broke
Dr. Peter Hardwicke Purchased the manor of Tytherington 1728. He
was the son of Peter Hardwicke a tanner, Town Master of Chipping
Sodbury, whose family had previously lived in Nailsea, Somerset. d.1747.
The descent of the Hardwicke family, and the nepotism shown in the
appointment of vicars, have been described elsewhere.
The Manor of Itchington
In 1220 the manor of Itchington was held together with that of
Tytherington by Emma Corbett and from then on the two manors were held
together until 1728. By that time the original boundaries between the
two manors had been forgotten. The combined manors had also been split
into two moieties at some point prior to the sixteenth century, though
they were eventually reassembled. By the eighteenth century the
boundaries between the two moieties had been forgotten. The moiety which
had formed the original Verney inheritance had been entailed so that
when the Verneys wished to sell off the moiety that had not been
entailed it was unfortunate that the boundaries between the two were not
known. To overcome the difficulties a commission composed of local
worthies was established in 1726 by an act of parliament to define the
boundary between Tytherington and Itchington and it was allowed that the
manor of Itchington could be considered the equivalent of the entailed
moiety and the manor of Tytherington could be sold.
The commission's detailed findings are included in the Hardwicke estate
Richard Verney Lord Willoughby de Broke, son of George Lord
Willoughby de Broke, inherited the manor of Itchington on his father's
death in 1728. d.1752
John Peyto Verney Lord Willoughby de Broke (nephew, son of John
Verney d.1741 and his wife Abigail Harley, niece of Robert Harley, Earl
of Oxford.) He married Lady Louisa North sister of the Prime Minister
Lord North. d.1798.
John Peyto Verney Lord Willoughby de Broke (son) d.1820.
Henry Peyto Verney Lord Willoughby de Broke (brother) d.1852. An
act of Parliament of 1814 enabled the sale of the entailed manor of
Itchington and in 1828 it was sold to John Salmon of Alveston.
John Salmon Some of the Itchington farms were sold off in 1828
and John Salmon mortgaged the rest to Richard Honnywill of Bristol to
pay for the purchase of the manor.
Compton Verney, Warwickshire
|home of the Verney Family