|Edwards Farm, Duck Street|
The date of Edwards Farm is uncertain, but from its position in the
centre of the village it seems likely that it was among the first
stone-built farmhouses in the parish and possibly is of late 16th
century origin; the first documented date is 1744. It has been much
altered, most recently 1975. The property was sold in 1728 by the family
of Lord Willoughby de Broke to Peter Hardwicke, Doctor of Physick,
Bristol. The Hardwicke family retained possession of the farmhouse until
David Edwards is the first recorded tenant; he had died and his widow
was the tenant in 1744. She was followed by John Nicholls the older who
died in 1764. Robert Alway's first five children do not appear. in the
Baptism register; the six subsequent children were baptised in
Tytherington, from 1767. In 1779, he was the tenant of Edwards Farm It
is a reasonable assumption that he moved into the village to follow John
Nicholls as tenant. He was succeeded by his widow (1792) and then by his
son Robert. The initials R.A. can still be seen scratched on beam. In
1815, Robert Alway, with his family, left Tytherington for Bristol and
Canada. They did not return and what happened to them in Canada is
recounted later on. The tenancy was maintained until 1825 first by John
Bryant (Bryants farmed West End Farm at this time) and then by Robert's
brother John at Mill Farm; and then for 15 years, the farmhouse was
occupied by James and Sarah Williams, both elderly.
John Hawkins Tyler, born at West Street Cottage where his father
Nathaniel farmed some 50 acres, moved to West End Farm in 1855 on the
death of the previous tenant. In 1861 he was farming 200 acres (50 plus
150 at West End Farm) but by 1871 the acreage he farmed had
When the Hardwicke estate was sold in 1936, Edwards Farm, in 5 acres of land, was sold to H C Pearce for £350. It is not known at present when the land which formed the farm unit - something over 100 acres - was sold by H L Hardwicke. Verbal evidence suggests that H C Pearce bought it during or soon after the 1914-18 War - a period when other sales were made by 'The Squire' - but this, in other verbal evidence, is denied. The farmhouse remained with the Pearce family, divided into two cottages and let to villagers, among them Percy Alway, Jim Merrick and Violet Barge, until 1965. It was then bought by H W Clark, whose wife Iris was a grandaughter of Charles Kingscott; the building has been extensively renovated.
Harold Clark is pictured in the centre of the photograph (right).
Click on the thumbnail to view.