General Sir George Wade Guy Green KCB  (1825-1891)
    Home     Tytherington Vicars

Below is a summary of an article published in the Flintshire Observer Mining Journal and General Advertiser 10th December 1891


General Sir George Wade Guy Green, K.C.B. was born on the 2nd April 1825, at Tytherington Vicarage (now called the Manor House).  He was the third son of the vicar Rev. G W Green and his mother was sister of Sir John Keys, who was twice Lord Mayor of London.  In 1832 they moved to Wales.

The family moved from Tytherington in 1827 to a benefice in West Wales, living at Court Henry near Carmarthen.  George was educated at Bridgenorth Grammar School, Shropshire and at the age of 16 in 1841 he sailed to Calcutta, India where he joined the 2nd European Bengal Fusiliers, later the 104th Queens.  He was involved in a number of military events.  In 1844 he served under Sir Charles Napier at Scinde in the fight against the Hill Tribes.  From 1845 to 1848 he served in the Camel Corps.  In 1849 at the Battle of Goojerat he rode into action and distinguished himself as a fine soldier and leader.  In May 1849 he was appointed second in command of the Punjab Infantry and later that year Captain.  He is credited with bringing his regiment into an excellent state of efficiency.  George served in several expeditions against the Hill Tribes in Afganistan and Beloochistan and in March 1857 was acknowledged for his bravery and intrepid conduct.  The Punjab Infantry were later involved in disarming disloyal Native Regiments at Multau and Ludhiana near Delhi.  They were praised for their great gallantry and steadiness, having marched over 18 miles in an area intersected with swamps, at the end of which they fought an action with the enemy variously estimated at between 4000-6000 men.  After the victory they had to bivouac on the ground without food or covering of any kind. 

On 14th September 1857 the storming of Delhi was effected, with Captain Green leading 450 men which stormed the breach at near the Cubilere Bastion.  43 of his men were killed and 64 wounded and Green himself was wounded in the leg.  Further battles took place, including at Agra on October 10th.  Green's regiment marched 30 miles during the night and fought a two hour battle, captured all the enemies positions and equipment and then pursued them for seven miles.

Green's regiment marched on to Cawnpore, arriving on October 21st, some three months after the brutal massacre which took place there.  The 2nd Punjab then moved on to relieve the siege of Lucknow (November 14th-17th) with Captain Green being one of the first to shake hands with Generals Havelock and Outram after the Relief.  He was mentioned in dispatches for his daring and soldier-like manner.  Captain Green had the great satisfaction of relieving his elder brother, Captain Theophilus Green of the 48th Bengal Native Infantry, whose wife was the first lady to die during the siege, probably of cholera which was rife at the time.  Theophilus then became attached to his brother's regiment and they fought together at Futtygurh.

On 19th January 1858 George Green was made Brevet-Major (a rank higher than that normally held in his corp) for his services at the Siege of Delhi.  He then received the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel by Brevet on March 4th for his services at the Relief of Lucknow.  Green was involved in a number of other actions until in September 1858 he returned home on medical advice.  In 1859 Green married Ellen, daughter of W.Carter Esq. of Troy, Jamaica.  He then resumed command of his old regiment in March 1860 and was involved in action against the Waziri Tribe and at the Burrara Pass.  In 1866 Colonel Green officiated as Commandant of the Punjab frontier Force while General Wilde was on leave.    In April 1867 General Wilde presented the Regiment with new colours and wrote to Green "Tell your Native Officers and men that the service performed by them under your command, both on this frontier and in Hindustan , are well known and highly estimated by the Government of India."  Two months later Green returned home on a two month medical furlough, later extended to two years, and then a further two years, finally retiring from the service on 1st June 1879 with the honorary rank of General, having been made Major-General in March 1869 and Lieutenant-General in October 1877.  He received his K.C.B in June 1877.


Why was Major Green, with such a distinguished military record and apparently in good health, retired at the early age of 42?  The answer is probably a political one.  It seems there was some very national jealousy in the Punjab Frontier Force that more of their regiments were not selected for the Afghan Expedition.  Despite fighting in 30 different campaigns and giving volunteers to join the Bengal Army, because it was a local force under the orders of the Lieutenant Governors of the Punjab, it was debarred from participating in any international campaigns, and its border expeditions were left relatively unhonoured and unsung.

Major Sir George Wade Guy Green retired to Cheltenham where he died at Bedford Lodge on 27th November 1891 age 66.


1871 Census - General Sir George Green living in Cheltenham with his wife Ellen and their six daughters from 11 years to 11 months, and four servants living in Bedford Lodge, Cheltenham

Record of Death and Will for General Sir George Wade Guy Green