The name in a document of 1592 means 'broad pools'. Bradmears has
become Barmers-land, and the two ponds at the farm are among the largest
in the limestone plateau. The farmhouse is thought to be 17th century,
together with the attached granary. Extensive barns, shelter sheds and
the cobbled yard are perhaps late 18th century or early 19th century.
The whole has been listed (grade II) by English Heritage. An indenture
of 1778 reads `... commonly known as Stowell Hill House or Stowell Hill
Farm.' Later, it was often called The Home Farm, being attached to The
The farmhouse may have been built following the enclosure of much of the
Open Field named Upfield. This was named in a document of 1546, and also
in the 1584 Terrier: 'A common field butting upon Milbury Heath'. Only
small fragments remained unenclosed by 1839. At this time, almost the
whole farm was arable; pasture lay in the wetter land below the dry
By 1728, most of the land comprising Upfield belonged to the family of
Lord Willoughby de Broke, some having been previously owned by Sir
Nicholas Poyntz of Acton Court, Iron Acton. In that year, it was sold,
together with much of the Manor of Tytherington, to Peter Hardwicke,
Doctor in Physic, of Bristol. The farm remained in the possession of the
Hardwicke family until after the 1914-18 War, when H L Hardwicke was
forced to sell some of his properties. Bought by the Rymers (Gilbert
first, then William), half the land, and the buildings, were sold in
1923 to William Hetherington. Succeeded by his son Robert in 1946, the
farm, though now much reduced in size, is still run by Robert and his
brother Claud. The construction of the M5 took the motorway close to the
farm buildings and cut off the easternmost fields. Meanwhile, quarrying
absorbed the southern part of the farm, and fields on the west and north
have been sold. In 1881, the farm consisted of 250 acres - probably the
While the farm was in the Hardwicke estate, there were tenant farmers in
the farmhouse. The list that follows is as complete as possible at
Middle of 18th century John Cox, followed by Timothy Roach.
Last part of 18th century Jonathan Sainsbury (died 1829 age 89) (his
son farmed Boyts Farm, his grandson Edwards Farm).
c1809-18 Thomas Alway (his uncle and cousin farmed Edwards Farm).
1821 Stephen Togwell.
1825 No tenant.
by 1830 James Shield (died 1875 aged 84).
1870's James' sons, James and Henry.
by 1888 John Creed, farm bailiff (died 1913 age 72)
|Barn at Barmersland Farm
||Interior of barn at
||Old well at Barmersand Farm
|OS Map c 1977 showing