The Manor House, Duck Street
|This was never a true Manor House. It had been
the vicarage from its building in 1663 up to 1930; after a new vicarage
had been built up Stow Hill, it was renamed The Manor, a whim of the
then Lord of the Manor when he moved in to it from The Grange.
In 1584, a return of all Church land was called for by the Bishop. The Tytherington terrier of glebe land includes 'One dwelling house, a barn and one orchard containing half an acre'. This is the first known reference to a vicarage. The vicar, John Lacey, probably spent much of his time farming and lived in an ordinary messuage (a dwelling house with outbuildings and land) like most of his flock. We do not know where his dwelling house was sited; it may have been at the entrance to the churchyard, where Church Cottage now stands. Following the Restoration of the Monarchy, William Elbridge was inducted as Vicar of Tytherington in 1662, and at once started to build a new vicarage. He made a note in the Church Register as follows: ' Ano Dni 1663 The vicarage - house at Tedrington was built from the ground by Will Elbridge Vicar. It cost building 133:00:00.' For another 250 years, the vicarage was on this site.
In 1787, Rev J Hardwicke wrote in the Church Register of Burials: 'The Barn, belonging to the Vicarage, was rebuilt June 1787; and also the Stable, Garden Walls etc., at the expense of the Vicar'.
The terrier of the glebe lands in 1807 gives a description of the vicarage: 'One house tiled situated in the Garden containing three bays of building, having a Parlour, Hall, Kitchen, two Pantrys, three Bedchambers, not very lofty, two closets, and a brewhouse at the North End, beyond the kitchen;-One Garden; One Barn, and a Stable contiguous covered with Pantile, standing in the back court, which, with a Privy in the Garden, were rebuilt by the present Vicar, about the year 1787.' But maintenance may have been neglected, for only three years later, the same Vicar was pleading with the Bishop for a licence to be absent for two years because of 'the insufficiency of the house of residence...'.
Photographs above and below show the Vicarage (now the Manor House) c 1890
In 1817 the Rev George Wade Green was presented to the living, a
young man in his first vicarage. He set about rebuilding the
vicarage with the same energy with which he dealt with parish affairs.
He mortgaged the profits of the vicarage to the Governors of Queen
Anne's Bounty for securing the sum of £500, and by 1819 the new vicarage
was complete. The buildings are described in the 1828 terrier as
Click on the thumbnails below to enlarge the pictures