More Swan Inn History
The Swan Inn - a poem
Swan Census 1911
and its Innkeepers
In the list of Customary
Tenants of the Manor, 1554, we find `William Hix, 1 Hospice.' Later, in
the Survey 'Men and Armour' in 1608, Issold Stich is recorded as `Inkeeper'(sic).
The Church Registers tell us that Thomas Davis was the innkeeper in
1677, 1699 and 1703. Documents of the Hardwicke and Stidcote estates
mention, as innkeepers, Robert Ponting in 1728 and 1735, John May in
1747. The Manor of Tytherington was sold by the Willoughby de Broke
family to Peter Hardwicke in 1728; the first mention of the name The
Swan is found in the sale document: ... one messuage called The Swan
alias Tytherington Inne ...' The recognizances required from ale house
keepers from about 1640 have not been consulted; a complete list of the
innkeepers might emerge from a detailed study of them. But the Land Tax
Returns show Joseph Cox 'at the Inn' in 1780, his widow Mary in 1784,
and William Thompson in 1800.
1840 was a significant date in the history of The Swan. Up to this time,
there is no evidence of where it was sited in the village, except that
by 1839 it was in a small building at the rear of
Edwards Farm, with a
garden extending to Lower Road (where the school building is now). In
1840 Thomas Hardwicke, Lord of the Manor, finding the farm buildings
opposite The Grange (the traditional manor farm) redundant, let the
buildings to Issac Fry for use as 'The Swan Inn'. Thomas Hardwicke was
in effect the last of the line in Tytherington and was coming to the end
of his life. His wife and all his seven children were dead, he was
living with a bachelor brother and spinster sister, he had quarrelled
with the vicar and he was no doubt glad to have a settled use for his
Issac Fry had previously been variously described as butcher, chandler,
chapman, and victualler - that is, a general provider of food and
household goods. He may already have been living in the farmhouse;
certainly, all his ten children were born in Tytherington. Once
established, and licensed to sell spirits as well as beer, the newly
sited Swan may have taken trade from the Beer House, which was by 1851
occupied as a private house. Issac Fry continued as innkeeper for
another twenty years. His eldest son James became a shoemaker, married a
Bristol girl, had seven children, and lived in the cottage across the
road from West Street Farm which was subsequently demolished for
quarrying. His wife died in 1851; a year later he remarried and left the
village, leaving behind a daughter as barmaid at The Swan.
It was the third son, Charles, who continued the name Fry at the Swan.
Working first as a cordwainer (shoemaker), he married Elizabeth Daniels
in 1862 and took over the pub from his father Issac, who went across the
Green to live for another eight years, to 1870, in No 1 Church Cottages.
Charles and Elizabeth (daughter of Thomas Daniels, shoemaker, and Sarah,
shopkeeper, who lived in a house across the road from the Church - in
what is now Jubilee Field) had two children, Charles and Ursula. Charles
senior died quite early (1868) leaving his widow to run The Swan, but
she did not remain unmarried for long: in 1871 she married Charles
Edward Heaven, by whom she had seven children. Heaven died in 1892,
Elizabeth in 1894 in Chipping Sodbury.
During the nineties, the innkeeper was William John Phillimore. A native
of Cromhall, he had married Elizabeth Tyler in 1880 and had been farming
57 acres at Woodleaze, but when Charles Heaven died, he took over The
Swan. He was active as a parish official: Waywarden (responsible for the
local highways) for eight years, assistant Overseer of the Poor from
1888, Clerk to the School Board, and, with the establishment of Parish
Councils in 1894, the first Parish Clerk. However, his life was cut
short in 1898, when he was 42, by the outbreak of typhoid in the
village. Two Tyler girls died, also, and the Squire's two daughters were
ill but recovered; the resulting agitation brought mains water to the
village in the next year, paid for (oral tradition has it) by the
It was at this time that
Charles Fry (Issac's grandson) returned and
moved into The Swan; he had married Ellen Lester and had several
children. After the first World War, the Squire, H L Hardwicke, perhaps
in some financial difficulty, was selling some of his properties the
village, and in 1922 he sold The Swan to Charles Fry. Shortly
afterwards, Charles died, but Ellen continued with the pub until 1929,
when she sold it to Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Ltd. She died in 1940.
In subsequent years, outbuildings and the public weighbridge we removed,
a bus shelter erected, and certain parcels of land were sold to the
Gloucestershire County Council for road widening.
Thus ended the Fry connection with The Swan (lasting almost a hundred
years), but not with the village. Charles and Ellen's eldest daughter
Fanny Elizabeth (1892-1962) married Sydney Charles Clements, of Yew Tree
Farm (renamed Hill View), and their youngest daughter
Beryl (who married Ken Brown) still lives in the village.
Charles Fry is pictured left with his wife Ellen, four daughters, two
sons, and a bearded relative.
|Report from Taunton Courier 26
Fry one of the three sisters who lived in the Swan c 1910.
She married Sydney Clements
purchased the Swan from Squire Hardwicke in 1922
|Barn at Edwards
Farm viewed from the Swan car park. Possibly the first
Swan Inn ?
|Mr & Mrs Stainer
landlords in 1970 with Claire & Peter Brazil
|Swan 1974 before porch added
|Swan viewed from
|Villagers waiting outside the
Swan for something to happen!! What and when?
|Advert for the
Swan Inn in a Churpels programme 1986
Plan of the Swan
Gunther & Noelle Schurrer
landlord & landlady