|The Smithy cottage next to
Church Cottage became the
Post Office about 1892 after the Smithy closed since the quarry had
developed its own smithy up the road. Thomas Tratman became Parish Clerk, and then Post Office receiver.
He died in 1892 but his widow continued with the post work, becoming a
sub-postmistress. During the typhoid outbreak in 1898 Post Office
business was transferred temporarily to a house towards Stow Hill (now
Patchwork Cottage), but returned to the Smithy cottage until 1900 when
it was transferred to
Liberty House which was built by Frederick Churchill Humphries in 1900 the local plumber, sub-postmaster,
Baptist and Liberal, on land owned by his Baptist and Liberal uncle,
George Boyt. It was built directly opposite The Grange where Squire Hardwicke lived.
This seems to have been a deliberately provocative act!.
Information about the present village shop
can be found here.
Liberty House Click on thumbnail above to enlarge.