Village Hall



Our Village Halls - a poem

The present Tytherington Village Hall Building was the Village School from 1876 until it closed in 1984.  The building was used as craft workshops for a few years until the village bought it from the then Avon County Council.  It was renovated and converted to a hall by voluntary labour and opened its doors as a hall on 22nd April 1995.  A new annex to the hall was opened in October 2008.  The hall is owned by the Parish Council but managed by the charity 'Tytherington Village Hall'.  To book the hall call 01454 415523.



The photograph (left) shows the Tytherington Church Band posing in front of the first village hall which was situated in Duck Street.  It was next to the bungalow called Hill View and its position is marked to the right of the bungalow by two stone gate pillars in the wall.  It is well remembered by villagers as being small and cramped, lacking many facilities including toilets.  Female villagers often complained about the stinging nettles outside at the back of the hall!!

Eventually the 'Red House' as it was called was taken down, re-erected in Oldbury near Berkeley and used by a farmer for storage.  It was replaced by the Tytherington Church Hall, pictured below, on the site of what is now the village shop.  This army hut was previously sited at the Polish camp at Babdown.

The Tytherington Church Hall pictured in 1990. The ChurchHall was demolished in 1996 to make way for the new Village Community Shop

        Demolition almost complete                                                                                                            Tytherington Village Hall 2013